July 5, 2012

The Vacation

Three days. 900 miles. Four states. BYU-Idaho. Yellowstone National Park. Plenty of memories and lessons learned.





-----WARNING! SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't seen the movie Brave, don't read #1

Lesson #1~ I am still a scaredy-cat 

This was just a confirmation. I will proudly say that I was able to manage my deathly fear of heights, insects, and driving. They were definitely there, but I was able to manage without freaking myself out more than necessary/normal.

It was the movie we saw that really sparked my inner wimp. It's supposed to be children's movie. It is animated! Of course I loved the message behind Brave- Stand up for yourself, don't let other's attempt to change you, every story has two sides, and it was NOT feminist! I found it to be very gender-general...other than that however...I was scared out of my mind! I mean the 'evil' bear was one of the most horrifying things I have ever seen. And what about Merida's father trying to kill her mother? Or when her mother starts acting like a bear and attacks! So scary!! I wanted to be like the little children in the theater screaming and crying (well I covered the crying part pretty well).


Then in Yellowstone we visited the hot-pots and geysers. First sign I see "Stay on boardwalks. Unstable ground." Let me tell you-walking on rickety wood about four feet wide (without railings). On either side, and underneath, the inferno that is Yellowstone. One wrong move and someone is toast...literally.  You would think that after going to YNP at least six times I would be used to the dangers, but not quite. 


Yes I am still a scaredy-cat but I'm not afraid to admit it:)


Lesson #2~ Every family member is important.

 Our first family vacation in four years and we only had half of the family. I now understand why my parents had five children. My two older sisters were missing from this trip and it was obvious. Every member of my family is vital to every other member. So Jon, Jeni, & family; Lance & Melissa (there will be a post on the wedding as soon as I get pictures!)...missed you guys and love you all!

Lesson #3~ I am a fan of camping in a hotel:)

I will straight-up admit that I am not an outdoorsy girl. The whole camping, fishing, roughing-it thing just doesn't appeal to me. I love nature and am amazed by it. Just discovered that I can appreciate it more with the knowledge that there's a nice hotel room (without bugs) waiting for me.


I got scared, missed my sisters (and everyone belonging to them), and saw hardly any aminals (we call them 'aminals' in Yellowstone). Yet it was still an incredible trip! It was a wonderful break from Utah. I got to drive through four states in two days-Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. I got to experience the wonders of nature. It wasn't Disneyland, but I would say that it was a successful trip and hopefully we don't have to wait four years for the next one:)


No comments:

Post a Comment