August 13, 2012

Goodbye

Okay. Here's the deal. Saying goodbye is ridiculous. I mean it's a heart-wrenching experience that seems to happen more often than not. Why is it so tragic? Is there a way to endure this pain and come out a winner?

Most of my life I assumed that you had to interact with someone for years before really knowing them. College has taught me differently. One of the greatest lessons I've learned is that lifelong friendships can be made in just one conversation. The hard part comes when you have to say goodbye to these dear friends. Everyone has their own path to take and that usually means going separate ways for awhile. Maybe it's only four months or two years. Possibly a lifetime. We don't always know how long it will be until our paths' cross again. That unknown is what makes goodbyes so hard.

How do we endure the time without those we care about? If possible we stay in contact. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible. The worst thing to do is sit around in a stagnant position. Chances are, those we have said goodbye to are learning and growing. We need to do our best to turn our sadness into strength. By just accomplishing this first step we are already growing as well. Just imagine the reunion of two connected souls who have taken the time apart to reach for their potential. It's a beautiful thought. An idea that can only become reality by putting forth the effort.

I already have, and will again soon, say farewell to many dear people who have touched my life. I will attempt to keep them in my heart. By doing so I can only hope to borrow some of their incredible strength and work towards my own potential. Keeping in my head the idea of a beautiful reunion.

Even though you might be missing someone or dreading saying farewell, keep your head up. Be courageous. Cry, but always counter the tears with something positive. I can promise you in the words of greatly revered LDS prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, "Try a little harder, to be a little better." The best way to overcome the challenge of goodbye is through pushing forward and becoming our best selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment